- Veggies I have Used
- For Grinding
- For Tempering
- Other Ingredients
Avial is a delicious and nutritious preparation made with mixed vegetables.It is prepared in the combination of healthy vegetables in a coconut mixture.Avial is a mild dish which can be served with rice , Adai etc .Vegetables commonly used in avial are Brinjal , Cucmber, plantain, Cluster beans, pumpkin, carrots, beans, drum sticks, snake gourd etc. It is prepared with as many vegetables as one can get except some mushy vegetables like tomato, cauliflower, ladies fingers, cabbage, onion, sweet potato, etc.one can use their own vegetable choice while selecting the vegetables.It can be made as dry dish or semi gravy also.
- Take Grated coconut,Cumin seeds,Green chillies,Shallots,Turmeric powder and few curry leaves in a blender and blend it very coarsely without adding water.Keep it aside
- In a pan,add coconut oil,Once it become hot, add mustard seeds,cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and saute for few minutes
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder,required salt ,tamarind paste ,some water and mix well.Cover and cook until done .
- Sprinkle some fresh curry leaves and mix well.
- Serve it with hot rice/Adai.
- It is the coconut oil which gives Avial the aroma and taste, hence do not substitute.
- You can use Mango / curd instead of tamarind pulp.
- If you want it as gravy ,add more water.