- Turmeric powder-2tsp
- Salt required
- Cooking oil/Coconut oil-for frying
Cuisine: Indian Cooking time: 25 mins Serving: 5 people
Nendran chips/Plantain chips are the stable snacks of kerala(India) called as kaya varuthathu,upperi etc.Coconut Oil gives a unique flavor to this chips.My Kid and my husband is very addictive to this snack.so i always prefer to make it at home than buying in stores.It makes a good tea time snack or whenever you want to munch something.you can even bake this for a healthier version.
If you have Ripe plantains at home ,follow this another tasty snack sweet banana fritters/Pazham pori
- In a bowl,Add turmeric powder,salt and water and mix it well and keep it aside.
- Make slits on the plantain skin vertically, now with your hands, carefully remove the skin.Slice it thinly using a slicer.
- Heat oil in a pan,once oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium. To find out if the oil is hot enough, drop a small piece of sliced plantain into the oil, if it raises to the surface immediately, then the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Deep fry the slices in hot oil. Dont overcrowd them.
- When it is half cooked, add a spoon of turmeric salt water in the oil.The oil starts splashing.so be very careful at this time.Fry until the splashing stops.
- Once the splashing stops completely , remove from the oil.
- Serve it as a snack with hot tea/coffee.
- Frying in coconut oil gives an authentic taste.
- If you are comfortable,you can directly slice the plantain over the oil.