- Bisibelabath powder
- Vegetables Used
- To Temper
Bisi bela bath Recipe:It is a very popular breakfast recipe from karnataka. In kannada, bisi means hot, bele means lentil and bath means rice. It is a wholesome and nutrition packed one pot meal made with rice, lentils and mixed vegetables. It tastes amazing when served with Kara bhoondi ,potato chips, papad, or thayir pachadi.
- Soak tamarind in warm water. Extract pulp and keep aside.
- Pressure cook rice with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles in a medium heat.Also Pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles and keep it aside.
- To Make Bisi-bela-bath powder : Dry roast Fenugreek seeds,mustard seeds,Urad dal,Channa dal,Cumin seeds,Fennel Seeds,Coriander seeds,Kashmiri dry red chillies (for red color ),Dry red chillies (for spiceness),Peppercorns,cinnamon sticks,Cloves,Green Cardamom,Few Curry leaves and Dessicated /Fresh Coconut.Grind it to a fine powder. Bisibelabath masala powder is ready.
- To Make Bisi-bela-bath:Heat some Oil in a large pan.To that,add Shallots,curry leaves and tomato and saute for few minutes.
- To that,Add carrots,Avarakkai / Broad beans, Kohlrabi /Noolkol ,Drumstick , Brinjal and potato .Add Required salt, Turmeric powder and 1/2 Cup of water to it.Cover and Cook the vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are cooked,Add the peas ,Cooked dal,Tamarind Extract, Bisibelabath powder , cooked Rice . Add required salt,some jaggery to it and saute until everything combines together well.
- Add Chopped coriander leaves and Mix well.Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes in a medium heat.
- To Temper:In a small pan,Add Ghee /Oil and temper it with cashews,dry red chillies ,Curry leaves and hing /Asafoetida. Pour the tempering over the bisibelabath .
- Bisi bele bath is ready to be served. Drizzle more ghee on top. Serve piping hot with potato chips or kara boondhi or thayir pachadi.
- Usually Byadagi red chillies are used for this recipe for red color ,but instead of that,i used kashmiri red chillies for a good color.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice.