- To Cook Chickpeas
- To Make Gravy
Channa Masala / Chole Masala :This is a very popular Indian vegetarian recipe in which the chickpeas cooked in a spicy and tangy tomato-based sauce.It goes awesome with Bhaturas ,chapathi,pooris and even rice.Let’s see how to make this delicious Channa Masala recipe.
- To Cook Chickpeas :Soak the Chickpeas in water for overnight or atleast for 8 hours. Pressure cook them by adding enough water with little salt and Turmeric powder for 3 to 4 whistles or until it become soft.
- To Make Gravy:In a pan,add oil and add Bay leaf,Cinnamon Stick,Star Anise,Green Cardamons,cloves and Fennel seeds.
- To that,Add Green chillies and ginger garlic paste and saute them until raw smell goes.
- Add the Onions and saute them until it becomes light brown color .
- Add in the spices turmeric powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli powder,Coriander powder , Cumin powder , Garam masala powder and Amchur powder .Saute them for a min.
- Add in the tomato puree and saute for a min.
- To that add Tomato Ketchup,Sugar and required salt and mix well.Cover and Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and mix well .Cover and simmer the gravy until oil floats on top. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take some kasuri methi,crush it with your hands and add to the gravy.
- Garnish it with lot of chopped coriander leaves .
- Serve hot with chappathi, puri or bhatura.
- You can skip adding tomato ketchup but it will give a nice taste.
- Adding kashmiri Red chilli powder or paprika gives a nice red color to the gravy.