- For Chettinad masala
- To Marinate Chicken
- For Gravy
Chettinad Chicken Masala or Chetiinad Chicken Roast is a spicy chicken dish from South India. All the spices will be freshly grounded for this recipe which imparts a unique spicy taste and more aroma to the dish.It goes well rice as well as breakfasts like dosa,appams,idiappams,idlis etc.
- For chettinad masala: Dry roast the spices Cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,Black stone flower,peppercorns,fennel seeds and cumin seeds and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add coriander seeds and dry red chillies and roast it well.Add grated coconut and roast it till it get a nice brown color.
- Once it cools,add it to the blender and grind it to nice powder.Chettinad masala is ready .
- Marinate Chicken :Add chilly powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder,lemon juice and required salt in the chicken and marinate it for minimum 30 mts to overnight.Longer Marination infuses more flavor to the chicken and also the chicken will be so soft .
- Heat Oil in a pan,once it become hot ,temper it with bayleaves,Green chillies,curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add tomato and saute it till it become soft and mashed up completely.
- Add marinated Chicken and saute it well.Close the lid and cook the chicken. Don’t add any water,the chicken itself ooze out lots of water , and it will cook in its own water.
- Add chettinad masala as per your taste to the cooked chicken and saute it till all the masalas get coated well in the chicken.If u want your chicken to be more spicier,add more chettinad masala
- Garnish it with chopped Coriander leaves.
- Now Chettinad chicken masala/Chettinad Chicken roast is ready.Serve hot with dosa/appams/idiappams/idlis/rice.