- To temper
- To Grind
Ennai Kathirikai Kulambu : Small Brinjals are roasted in Oil and then cooked in a spicy tamarind gravy.It is a best side dish for biryani and also goes well with rice, idli etc.Do try this awesome recipe and share your feedback
- To Grind : In a pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of Oil.Add Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek seeds, Pepper corns, Urad dal, Channa dal, Coriander seeds, dry red chillies and roast for 2 mins.
- To that Add Shallots, Garlic pods, ginger piece and saute for few minutes.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes and Cook it until it mashed up completely.
- Add Grated coconut and saute for 2 more mins.Switch off the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Once it is cooled, Transfer to a blender.Add Turmeric powder, Kashmiri Chilly powder and grind it to a smooth paste.Keep it aside.
- To Roast Brinjals :Make X cut leaving the other side intact.
- In a pan,heat some oil and roast the brinjals for 5 to 8 mins in medium heat until the brinjal shrinks.Take it out from the Oil and Keep it aside.
- To Make Gravy : In the same pan,Temper it with Mustard seeds, Dry Red Chillies,few curry leaves and hing/Asafoetida.
- Add the freshly ground masala paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- To that, Add tamarind extract(fom small lemon size tamarind), Required salt and a piece of jaggery(Try not to skip this,as it enhances the taste).Mix well.Adjust gravy consistency by adding required water.
- Cover and Cook until Oil separates and oozes out .Do it in medium heat.
- Add the Roasted Brinjals and mix well.simmer it for 5 mins in low heat.
- Delicious Ennai Kathrikai is ready .Serve it as a side dish for biryani/ plain rice/ Idli etc.
- Try to use Small Brinjals. You can also try with Large ones,if means,Cut into pieces and continue.
- You can add more or less water according to your preference,how thick you want the Gravy.