Medu Vada / Ulundu Vada : It is so crispy yet soft, spongy and taste amazingly delicious when we have it with hot sambar and chutney.It also goes well as a awesome evening snack with a cup of hot chai / filter coffee.Do try this awesome evening snack and share your feedback:)
- Wash and Soak the Urad dal for 2 to 3 hours.After 3 hours, Drain the water completely.
- To Grind batter : In a Mixie / Blender, Add the Soaked Urad dal and add 1/4 Cup of ice cold water and grind it to a very smooth paste.If you need more water to grind, add gradually like a tsp at a time.Transfer to a Bowl.
- To that, add chopped Onions, minced ginger, chopped curry leaves, Chopped green chillies, peppercorns and required salt. Combine everything together.
- To Shape Vadas : Wet your right hand well, take a small portion of vada batter and make a small ball. Now wet your thumb and make a hole in the middle using your thumb finger.
- To fry Vada : Drop the Vada into the medium hot Oil by just invert the vadas and slightly shaking your fingers.As we already wet our hand, the vadas will slide off easily without sticking into our hand.
- Cook the vadas on both sides till the bubbles ceases and it becomes golden brown.Drain it in a paper towel.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambar and a cup of hot chai / Coffee .
- Once you grind this vada batter, make it immediately or keep the batter refrigerated till use.Otherwise the batter absorbs more oil. If you think the batter becomes watery, add few tsp of rice flour and make it to a slightly thick batter,but dont add more as it becomes very hard.
- If the Oil is in low heat, Vada will absorb more oil and if it is too hot,vada will brown quickly but inner wont be cooked properly.
- For a cup of urad dal, 1/4 cup is the minimum quantity of water needed to grind the batter.If you need more water, add water in tsp and check the batter. Please don’t add too much of water.Also if u add less water to grind the batter , vada will be hard.
- To check the vada consistency, drop a small quantity of batter in a bowl of water.If it floats on top, the batter is in right consistency.