- To Marinate Fish
- To Make Gravy/Masala
Meen Pollichathu Recipe:This is a flavorful delicious fish recipe that the fish is fried and then cooked in banana leaf wrap with masala.The flavor from the banana leaf adds more taste to this fish.Usually it is made with Karimeen / Pearl spot. I have used pomfret for this recipe.Do try this flavorful fish recipe and share how it came out.
- To Marinate Fish:Clean and wash the fish thoroughly, make deep slits in the fish,so that the marination will go inside.
- In a bowl, Add ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, salt and lemon juice.Mix well.
- Apply the masalas all over the fish and let it marinate for 10 to 15 mins
- To fry fish:Heat some coconut Oil in the pan and fry the fish on both sides Do not over cook the fish.Do it in medium heat.Keep it aside.
- To Make Masala/ gravy : In a pan, heat a tbsp of coconut oil and temper it with mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add Green chillies and onion and saute until it becomes soft and translucent
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add the spices turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, garam masala powder and salt and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2 mins.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover and cook till it becomes mushy.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- To Make Wrap in Banana leaves: Clean the banana leaves and wilt it slightly.You can boil some water in a pan and place the banana leaf over it.This helps to easily fold the banana leaf.If you are using tender leaves,no need for wilting the leaves.
- Place some prepared masala on the Banana leaf,then the fried fish and again cover the fried fish with the remaining gravy.
- Fold the leaf and cover it with foil and make a parcel.
- Heat a pan,grease it with oil and place the parcel over the pan.Cover and Cook for 15 mins in medium heat.
- Remove it from the pan and Serve hot.
- Delicious Meen Pollichathu is ready