- To Clean Lamb trotters
- To Pressure cook
- To prepare masala
Cuisine: Indian Cooking time: 45 mins Serving: 4 people
- To clean Lamb trotters:Lamb trotters needs a cleaning process before cooking.So Add Wheat flour to it and scrub well with that flour.It helps to remove any hair/dirt that the butcher left on them.Make sure all the hair got removed completely.After scrubbing,rinse them well in running water .
- Add vinegar to the cleaned lamb trotters and allow it to rest for about 10 to 15 minutes. Afterthat Rinse it again with running water.
- To Broil the Lamb trotters:Add turmeric powder to the cleaned trotters.Coat them well in the lamb trotters.Line them in a baking tray and broil them in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes.You can also smoke them directly in the fire.
- To Pressure Cook:Transfer the trotters into a pressure cooker.Add Fennel Seeds,peppercorns and add required water to it.Pressure Cook on high heat for about 40-45 mins(no whistle count). It may take longer for trotters with lots of meat.
- To Prepare masala :Dry roast Cinnamon,Cloves,Star Anise,Cardamom,Cumin seeds,fennel seeds,peppercorns,Coriander seeds,Dry Chillies and Coconut.Roast until nice brown color.Turn the heat off and set it aside; let them cool. Once cooled add everything in blender/mixie and ground to coarse paste and set aside.
- To Prepare Mutton paya :In a pan,Heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds.Add the chopped shallots and saute until it turns pink and translucent.Add green chillies and Curry leaves and saute.
- To it,Add ginger garlic paste and saute for couple of minutes till raw smell goes.
- Add the to tomatoes and saute till it mashed up completely. Add the grounded paste and fry mixing well for 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the beaten yogurt . Stir well to make sure it doesn’t curdle but enhance the flavors to form a rich gravy with all the spices. Cover and cook until oil leave the sides of the pan.
- Add the cooked Paya to the gravy and increase the heat back to medium, Mix well so that all trotters pieces is coated well with masala.
- Add required water ,required salt and bring the paya to a boil.Simmer gently for a further 30 minutes. Make sure to stir often or so just so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Remove from the fire and keep it for overnight or if you want to eat the same day, then let it rest at least for 4-6hrs.
- Serve with Idiyappam, Appam, Naan, Roti or with Rice and Enjoy!
- For best result prepare the paya curry overnight and serve next day. It tastes delicious!
- Cleaning process is very important for lamb trotters before it can be cooked.