- To Marinate Mutton
- To Make Yogurt Masala
- To Temper
Mutton Rogan Josh :It is a fantastic mutton recipe packed with full of flavor.It is so damn good that my whole family loved it to the core.The red color of the dish comes from a rare spice ‘Ratan jot’.As its very rare spice,you can use Kashmiri Red chilly powder which gives nice red color to the gravy.The main thing is you have to slow cook the meat in the gravy, but if you are rushed on time, you can pressure cook to reduce the cooking time.Traditional Kashmiri Rogan Josh has a thin gravy layered with a slick of oil on the top,but i made it little thick gravy. Do try this delicious mutton rogan josh recipe in your kitchen and enjoy a good meal with your family.
You might also Like
- Mutton Karahi
- Chettinad Mutton curry
- Mutton chukka
- Dindugal Mutton Biryani
- Mutton gravy
- Mutton Ghee Roast
- Mutton paya curry
- To Marinate the Mutton : In a large bowl, Add mutton pieces, Salt, Turmeric powder and Lemon juice.Allow it to rest for 30 mins.
- To Make Yogurt masala paste: In a bowl, Add thick curd/yogurt, few saffron strands, Kashmiri Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Fennel Seeds powder(Saunf powder) and ginger powder(Sonth powder).Add some water and make it to a smooth paste
- To Make Gravy : In a pan, heat some Oil.Temper it with Bay leaves, Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom, Cumin Seeds and Hing / asafoetida.
- To that, Add the marinated mutton and saute until the meat changes to brown.Cover and Cook for 5 mins.
- To that, add the yogurt masala paste and mix well.
- Cover and Cook for 15 mins.
- Add required water and mix well.cover and Cook for about 45 minutes till the meat becomes tender.The time varies depends, so cook the meat until tender and soft.If you want, you can transfer to a pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles in medium heat.But Slow cooking gives more flavor to this dish.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and chopped Coriander leaves.Mix well.
- Delicious Mutton Rogan Josh is ready.Usually it should have a thin gravy,but i made it little thick.You can do it with your own preference.
- If you don’t like biting the spices,you can tie them in muslin cloth and add it to the gravy.
- The red color of the dish comes from a rare spice ‘Ratan jot’.As its very rare spice,you can use Kashmiri Red chilly powder which gives nice red color to the gravy
- Don’t replace Kashmiri chilly powder with Normal Chilly powder.Here i have used 2 tbsp of Kashmiri Chilly powder which is not spicy,but gives a nice red color to the gravy.
- Try to use mustard Oil if you have.
- The gravy will be thin gravy,but i made it little thick gravy as per my preference.