- Besan Flour/kadalai mavu - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1/2 cup
- Hing / Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 1 tblsp
- Ajwain/Omam - 1 tbsp
- Required Salt
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp (Optional )
- Oil for frying
Omapodi / Namkeen / Plain Sev /Ajwain Flavored Sev is a popular diwali snack and it is our favorite tea time snack and it feels awesome to have this Sev with a cup of tea / Coffee.It is very easy to make and kids would love this very much. We can use this same sev for chaat recipes too!
- In a mixer, add the ajwain and water and grind to a paste.
- Filter this and keep aside.(you can soak the ajwain for an hour and grind too).
- Sieve Besan Flour and Rice Flour together .
- Add Hing / Asafoetida , Salt ,Butter and the Ajwain / Omam Extract to the sieved flour and mix well.
- Add little water at a time and form a smooth soft dough .
- Press through the Sev /idiyappam press in hot oil(oil should be at right heat,i.e; if you add a pinch of dough it should raise up immediately).
- Flip to the other side and cook till the bubbles ceases.
- Drain in paper towel and repeat the process for rest of the dough.
- Tasty omapodi / Ajwain flavored Sev is ready.
- If you dont like the ajwain flavor ,you can skip that too.