Paruppu Payasam| Pasi paruppu Payasam |Moong dal Kheer | karuppu payasam: One of the very popular payasam recipe is Pasi Paruppu payasam. It is very simple to prepare and it is a special dessert served in almost every wedding in kanyakumari . Moong dal is very good for health and also it taste absolutely delicious. Make this payasam at home and I am sure you will enjoy it.
- To Cook Dal and Sago: Wash Moong dal well and drain completely.
- In a pan, heat a tbsp of ghee and fry the moong dal until you get a nice aroma of roasted dal.
- To that, add sago / Javarasi and saute for about 2 mins.
- Transfer to the pressure cooker.Add 3 Cups of water to it and cook for 2 whistles in medium high heat. Dont over cook the dal. The texture is very important .Keep it aside
- To Make Jaggery Syrup: Add Jaggery to a pan with a cup of water and heat it
- Allow it to dissolve completely. Keep it aside.
- To Make Payasam: Transfer the cooked dal and sago into a big pan.
- To that strain and add the jaggery syrup(so that we can remove the impurities).
- To that add thin coconut milk , dry ginger powder and cardamom powder .Mix well .
- Allow it to boil until you get the desired consistency.
- Switch off the heat and add a cup of thick coconut milk. Don’t boil after adding the thick coconut milk.
- Heat ghee in another pan and fry cashewnuts, raisins and coconut slices and pour into the payasam
- Delicious Pasi Paruppu Payasam is ready. Serve it hot / Cold.
- Moong dal texture is important for the payasam. It should not be completely mashed out.
- The color of the payasam depends on the color of the jaggery we use.
To Make Coconut Milk
- Thick Coconut Milk : In a blender , add coconut and a cup of warm water.Blend it and strain it .
- Thin Coconut Milk : Again take the blended coconut into the blender and add a cup of warm water.Blend it and strain it .This is the second extract (thin Coconut milk).