- For Soaking dry fruits
- For Caramel
- For Batter
Cuisine: Fusion Cooking time: 1 hr 20 mins Serving: 8 people
Plum Cake /Christmas Fruit cake(No Alcohol version) : This cake is a very very aromatic, super yummy cake and its easy to prepare.The Only crucial thing is dark caramel,we need to be careful while making this,because when we add hot water to it ,it splash out ,so be careful while preparing caramel.The dark color of this cake comes from the dark caramel syrup.
You can use Rum to soak the dry fruits and nuts,but here i used orange juice to soak the dry fruits.Please do it a try and am sure you and your family will love this:)
I Wish you all a Advance Happy Christmas and Happy New year:):)
- To Soak dry fruits and nuts : In a large bowl, Add the candied fruit mix, Chopped dates, golden raisins, black raisins, Dried cranberries, Chopped cherries, chopped cashews and almonds.You can use any dry fruits and nuts of your own choice.
- Add 2 cups of Orange juice to it and allow it to soak for minimum 2 days to a month.You can replace it with grape juice or rum also.
- After 2 days : The dry fruits and nuts are soaked well and most of the juice get absorbed by the dry fruits.If you want to do it on the same day,Boil the dry fruits and nuts along with the orange juice for about 5 to 8 minutes in medium heat and allow it to cool and use it tat same day.
- To drain the dry fruits: Drain the dry fruits and reserve the juice for later use. Dust it with 2 tbsp of flour and coat the dry fruits with the flour so that while adding dry fruits to cake batter it wont sink to the bottom .
- To prepare Caramel: In a pan, add 1/2 cup sugar with a tbsp of water.Heat it and allow the sugar to melt completely.Boil it until the melted sugar becomes dark brown.
- Once it becomes brown, remove it from the heat and add 1/2 cup of hot water to it.Please be careful at this stage because the water tends to splash and can cause burns.
- After adding Hot water,Bring it back to the heat and stir for a minute.Remove from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- To make Batter: In a large Bowl,Beat a cup of butter until creamy and soft.
- Add Brown sugar to it and beat well.You can also use white sugar instead.
- To that Add Eggs one by one and beat well until everything combines together .
- Add Vanilla extract and caramel syrup and beat well for a min.
- Next Add All purpose flour / Maida, Baking powder, baking soda, salt, Nutmeg powder, Cinnamon powder, cloves powder, cardamom powder and mix well.Beat it for a minute.
- Finally add the soaked dry fruits and nuts along with 5 tbsp of orange juice which we used to soak the dry fruits and mix well.
- To Bake the cake :Preheat the Oven to 350 Fahrenheit / 180 Celsius .
- Grease the baking pans with butter and pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake it in the pre heated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- You can use any fruits of your choice like apricots,figs, prunes, dried blueberries etc.
- Soak it for longer as it gives more flavor and taste to the cake.
- If you want to do it on the same day,Boil the dry fruits and nuts along with the orange juice/grape juice for about 5 to 8 minutes in medium heat and allow it to cool and add it to the batter