- To Make vadas
- For the vada curry
Vada Curry : It is a very famous South Indian curry which is served as a side dish for idli, dosa , pooris etc. It is very easy to make and it taste so delicious .Do try this and share how it turned out to you😊
- To Make Vadas :Soak channa dal for minimum 3 hours and drain out the water completely.
- In a blender, add fennel seeds, garlic, dry red chillies and soaked channa dal.Grind it coarsely without adding water.
- Transfer to a bowl and add required salt.Mix well.
- Take a small portion and pat them on your palm to form a circle with medium thickness.
- In a pan,Heat oil for deep frying.Deep fry in hot oil until slightly golden in colour,flipping once in between
- Alternatively you can also steam the vadas in idli plates or fry it in paniyaram pan.
- Once it cools down,break it into smaller pieces.Keep it aside.
- To Prepare Vada Curry : In a pan , heat some oil and temper it with bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, cardamom and fennel seeds.
- Add the finely chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for few minutes until raw smell goes.
- Add the spice powders turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Coriander powder ,garam masala powder and chopped mint leaves (Don’t skip as mint leaves add more flavor to the gravy).Saute for a min
- Add finely chopped tomatoes until the tomatoes mashed completely.
- Add required water and bring to boil and add the crumbled vadas and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the vada absorb the gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- serve it with idlis or pooris.
- Vada curry thickens as it cools. To dilute it ,add hot water and heat it.
- If you want you can add coconut milk for extra flavor and taste