- To Temper
- For Vatha Kuzhambu Powder
Vatha Kuzhambu : Vathal kulambu is one of my favourite curries for rice. Sundakkai has lot of medicinal values. It kills worms in our stomach, helps in proper digestion, control diabetes etc.So its good to use often.This is very simple to make.Do try and share how it turns out😊
- Soak tamarind in hot water. Extract pulp and keep aside.
- To Prepare Vatha Kulambu Podi : In a pan, add urad dal, Channa dal, Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Peppercorns,Fenugreek seeds, rice and dry red chillies .Saute for few mins and grind it to fine powder.
- To Prepare Vatha Kuzhambu : Heat Sesame Oil in a pan. Temper it with Mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and hing / Asafoetida.
- Add Sundakkai Vathal and saute well for 2 mins.
- Add garlic cloves and shallots and saute.
- Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, vathakulambu powder or 2 tbsp sambar powder and salt .Saute for a min in medium heat .Make sure you don’t burn the powders.
- Add Tamarind extract ,required water and mix well.Check for salt and add if needed.
- Cover and simmer for 5 to 8 mins in medium heat. The oil separates and it becomes slightly thick.
- Add jaggery (It is must as it enhances the taste) and curry leaves.
- Tasty Vatha kuzhambu is ready.
- Serve it with hot rice and papad
- Use Sesame oil for authentic flavor. If you don’t like that flavor, use any cooking oil.
- Also you can use other vathals like manathakkali vathal, maa vathal, mithuku vathal or any vathal for making this kuzhambu.
- This sundried sundakkai vathal has salt in it so be careful while adding salt.
- Never skip jaggery at the end, it gives an extra punch and taste to the vathal kuzhambu.
- You can skip preparing vathakuzhambu podi and instead add 2 tbsp of sambar powder.