- To Roast & Grind
- To prepare thokku
Vatha Kuzhambu thokku :This spicy and tangy thokku paste with hot rice topped with a tsp of ghee /sesame is a best combination.Its super simple to prepare and you can store it for about a month or two.
You may also like
- soak lemon size tamarind in warm water and extract thick juice.
- To Roast and grind:Heat a tbsp of sesame oil in a pan and add sundakkai vathal.Roast it until done and transfer to a bowl.
- To the same pan, add urad dal, chana dal,cumin seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and dry red chillies.
- Roast them in medium heat and grind it to fine powder.
- To Prepare thokku :In a pan, heat 1/2 cup of sesame oil.
- Temper it with mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add garlic pods and sundakkai vathal and saute for about 2 min.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the spicepowders turmeric powder, hing/Asafoetida and ground spice powder.Saute for a min
- Add tamarind extract to it and add reuired salt.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 to 8 mins until oil seperates and floats on the top.
- Add a tbsp of jaggery to it and mix it.
- Super tasty vathalkulambu thokku is ready
- Serve hot with rice with a tsp of sesame oil/ghee and papad.