- For tempering
Ven pongal / Khara pongal : It is a very simple to make breakfast recipe and it is a very comfort food.It has very simple steps that we can make it really fast in busy mornings that we cook rice and dal together and then do the tempering.It pairs well with medu vada and taste amazing when we have it with sambar and coconut chutney.
- To Cook Rice and dal : In a pressure cooker, heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee and add the washed rice and dal and saute for 2 minutes.Add 4 Cups of water and required salt.Pressure cook it for 4 whistles in a medium heat.Once the pressure is released,open and mash the rice and dal well.Keep it aside.
- To Temper : In a pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee and once its hot,add pepper corns, cumin seeds, cashewnuts, minced ginger, green chilly and lot of curry leaves. Fry it for a min. Finally add 1/2 tsp of hing and switch off immediately.
- Pour it over the mashed dal and rice and mix well.
- Tasty flavorful ven pongal is ready.Serve it with hot sambar and coconut chutney.
- If the pongal is watery after cooking, then pressure cook for another 1 or 2 whistles and if it is dry, then add some ghee or 2 tblsp of hot water.